Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pleasure an Antidote ...



Pleasure
Before we left Christchurch I went with Tom Matthews to a lecture given by Dr Rob Gordon on the emotional and psychological recovery for people living in Christchurch post EQ ... particularly on the East Side. Dr Gordon is an expert in recovery from trauma re natural disasters and has done a lot of research on how people recover and what to expect in their recovery process. He has been very helpful with his expertise and information ... making sense of what has been a really hard, distressing, painful and stressful situation for most people living in a post EQ city. One of his suggestions is to increase  pleasure ... he said pleasure stores energy ... which many people have very little of in Christchurch and is an antidote to stress and the increase of cortisol levels in the brain.

As I sat listening to him I could not remember the last time I had experienced pleasure ... there have been times when I have hurt physically living in Christchurch. Riding through the streets and seeing buildings coming down ... going through the centre of town ... the centre that is no longer there and seeing the amount of destruction  and empty lots I found overwhelming ... this is my hometown and I would feel a deep upwelling of grief and I would hurt, like a deep ache inside me. I wondered if it would ever end and if I would ever feel pleasure again. Visiting our house that we lost in the EQ I would feel such a deep sense of loss and pain ...

In the last 2 weeks I have felt pleasure ... so much of it. Walking around lake Runnemede in the evening and seeing beavers, turtles, people fishing ... reading a book ... not having to jump out of bed to start my day ... lars and Roxcy ... these are all moments ... some of them not very long, but I feel absolute pleasure. I am seeing things that I have not seen in a long time. I am seeing them through the eyes of pleasure ... and I am grateful.

Lars & Roxcy after our Train Ride.





5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of the kids on the train and you look sooooo happy and relaxed (even if you don't like the picture, that's what I see) in that one with the kids. It is wonderful that you are feeling pleasure again. You deserve it after all you've been dealing with. It is so nice to have you hear and see where I love through your lens and remember what a wonderful spot we have. Keep blogging...I love it. It makes me miss blogging and wish I had the time to do it like I used to but also blogging and writing while traveling is so much fun to do. What a great record you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this mum, You are amazing...Sounds like your having a great and well deserved time, despite who you left behind. lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this Liz! Great to know you are both doing well. I had no idea you and Pete are on an awesome journey around the world. If you ever make it to South America, I am here to receive you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz,
    Great to hear of your progress. Dr Robert Gordon is coming back again to Christchurch. I'll go listen.
    I borrowed a Red Crops video of a pat talk of his when visiting Ch-ch (from Cathie) and have watched 2 parts of 3 so far.

    ReplyDelete