Wednesday, June 4, 2014

"Are you the man ..."



On Sunday evening we all ... being Mike, Chris, Pete, myself, lars & Roxcy went to check out an Airstream RV. We drove about 90 minutes, I am not sure which direction, I am completely disorientated here so I go by time. It was a really nice drive and the evening was perfect. Pete and Mike talked about Airstreams while driving up there and other automotive conversations.

I am fascinated by the things that bind us together as families. In our family it is cars ... poetry ... movies ... road trips and Christ, among many other things I am sure. These things become very strong points of connection when we get together, particularly for the men in our family. Mike, Mack and Pete talk cars ... have competitions over the size of engines ... whether the car we just saw was a Jag or a Daimler ... what year the car is and how they compare to others. On the outside listening in these conversations may seem boring or not that important, but from where I sit they really bring the men in our family together.

Before we came out to the States Mike rang us one day very excited because he had just bought a diesel truck and wanted to tell Pete all about it. A really nice moment I thought ... he was so excited to share his purchase with Pete. Since being here Mike and Pete have changed the oil together on the truck and bought 2 new batteries for it ... together.

I diverse ... so while driving to see the Airstream the conversation was very animated and consisted of what condition this very significant piece of US memorabilia would be in ... was it overpriced and what exciting adventures awaited us in the Airstream not just us but Mike, Chris and their children. We were not just investing in a RV but in an iconic piece of US automotive history. Yes ... this was an answer to all of life's existential questions and was going to rid us of our boredom ... what adventures waited to be had. During the course of Mike and Pete's conversation Mike asked ..."so tell me Dad are you the man that drives an Airstream or drives to see an Airstream?" Ouch! I am still asking myself that question ...


40 Feet Long Stored in a Hangar
How Cool is This
Original Decore

 I guess we drive to see an Airstream ... but what a really neat experience and what really interesting people. All because of an Airstream!












No comments:

Post a Comment