Monday, May 26, 2014

Pete ...


Pete and lars
Pete and I have been married for just over 34 years ... that time has gone by fast ... and sometimes it has been real slow. We have 4 children ... Mike 33 ... lucy 31 ... Mack 27 and Alice 23 (almost). I have learnt a lot about myself over these last 34 years of marriage and 4 children ... now 2 daughters -in-law and 3 grandchildren ... and I have learnt some things about what it means to be in a long term relationship.

When I married Pete I had no thought of time or how long we would be married or what it even meant to be married. I am sure if I did I would have been way too scared to make the decision, it would have felt way beyond my ability or commitment level. But here I am 34 years later ... with Pete ... and no regrets!

Pete has been a loyal partner and Father and the happiness of his family has been and continues to be
his primary concern. He has worked very, very hard over the last 34 years to provide for his family and some times that has been at great sacrifice to himself. I have a tremendous respect for how Pete has worked and provided for us and I believe that if he never does anything else in his life he has already done a great thing. There has never been a time when we have had to worry about our safety, where Pete is or when he will be home or if we have enough ... of anything! Family means everything to Pete!

For those of you who have known Pete for a while will know of his generosity of spirit ... he is very generous with himself with others. He enjoys people and will spend time engaging in conversation with anyone! He is fascinated by peoples history/stories and can be entertained for hours in conversation with someone about themselves! He is a very intelligent man and sometimes does not suffer fools well. He is also very creative in his work and in his thinking. He loves poetry and prose and is quite artistic in his likes ...  some might say a little feminine. He has a great sense of humour ... I get great pleasure out of listening to him roar with laughter at a funny movie. He has compassion for others in their difficulties and is very generous in their celebrations and achievements. He is willing to always help in any way he can ... references ... shifting ... listening to someone ...or helping someone in their work. He has a natural tendency to think good of others or that everything will work out. An eternal optimist.

Since being away with him over these last 2 weeks there are some things that I have noticed about Pete that I have not seen before. He looks after me very well! He is very patient with me ... rarely criticises me and looks at me in a loving way. He is affectionate and enjoys my company. I can see that I really matter to him ... I find this very humbling. He is so nice to me and so patient ... particularly on the tandem. He is wonderful with our grandchildren ... Lars, Roxcy and Elizabeth ... he loves them and gets such a thrill out of being with them. Who wouldn't ... they are the coolest.

I am very grateful that 34 years ago I made a decision that has had such a dramatic effect on me and changed my life for good in every possible way.

Pete and Roxcy ... watching Wreck it Ralph







2 comments:

  1. Yup Pete is a good'un. Together you are pretty spectactualr! Love you both long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you sharing these thoughts. I respect Pete, and I respect you, and it's encouraging that you're seeing him with fresh eyes and feeling a newness in your love.

    ReplyDelete