Saturday, August 20, 2016

I am Blessed

I feel very privileged, blessed, lucky that we are able to visit our family here in the States as often as we have. I have secretly had the dream that we would spend part of our year with our children in the States, Thailand, Fiji ... where ever they are and the rest in NZ ... working hard to pay for our travel. I did not think that it would really happen and at times wondered if I was being 'greedy' ... part of a first world problem ... 'FOMO' as our friend Tom says. The RV has been part of that dream. Giving us independence, a place to sleep and the means to go of travelling as the mood suits. That dream has become a reality for us over the last few years and I am grateful.

One of the great things about travel is the easiness of it ... the simplicity of it and the great insight that travel brings with it ... insight into our functioning ... I know I have said this many times but the most cumbersome part of our luggage is ourselves ... there is no getting away from 'me'. Even so I am grateful ... grateful for the experiences that life offers each of us so abundantly ... the adventures that are there for us in what ever form they may take. Being here with Lars and Roxcy is wonderful for us ... to get to know them better. There is a 'big' difference between being a parent and being a grandparent. Age is one of the noticeable differences ... energy another ... longevity another ... we will be a memory, a fond one I hope, for our grandchildren but with our children we will always be with them in some form another, in a good way I hope!

Here are some highlights from the last couple of weeks ... hard not to have Lars and Roxcy in the mix.

There are many uses for a RV ... letting off toy planes ... war ... getting away ... and all on the roof.

An afternoon of stone painting with Roxcy ... I cannot tell you how much drawing and painting terrify me! I cannot even draw a stick figure! Roxcy and I spent a good couple of hours drawing on these stones ... painting the undercoat and then decorating them. Mine is on the left ... Roxcy was so cute she said 'yours beautiful, it is perfect and my favourite'... what can I say!

The hottest day of summer ... we walked down to the pond and spent a few hours sitting on the bank or beach as they call it here in Windsor, and swimming ... a day well spent I think.

We did a weekend workshop on Emotional Intelligence and Mindfulness facilitated by Daniel and Tara Goleman at the Omega Centre in Rhinebeck New York State. A very cool place to relax ... meet interesting people ... enjoy yummy food ... yoga, meditation and learning. The last time we were here was in 2008 and we have been meaning to come back ... we got in our RV, drove for a few hours and arrived. We stayed at the RV park 1.5 miles up the road and intended to walk each morning. We walked the first day ... we were swarmed by mosquitoes ... what was meant to be a very enjoyable and relaxing walk became an assault. I think Pete really suits this kind of environment ...

The morning light at Omega ... 

The cafe at Omega sells local ice cream ... Killer Chocolate is one of their flavours ... it is the best chocolate ice cream I have tasted ... no I did not have two ... 

I love the architecture of bridges ... I think it is the steel and they look so strong and beautiful to me. This bridge spans the Hudson River.

Windsor High School Rugby/Grid Iron team ... I am fascinated by men's interest and enthusiasm around ball sports ... there are so many of them ... I have never got it ... I am not a rugby girl ... I don't know the rules, but I do know that it seems to bring out the competitiveness and bad temper in men at times.

Yes Roxcy you can fly ...

Lars and I spent some time counting out his money in his money box. Lars loves lego and he loves Star Wars and they make an absorbing combination. He has a Star Wars lego book with all the different types of lego in Star Wars figures that any little boy could think of. The one that he really wants at the moment is the Drop Ship ... it is $US780. He came downstairs with all his money and a look of excitement in his eyes thinking that he had the full amount ... we spent the next hour counting out all his coins ... he is $US740 short! Sometimes it is the most simplest moments that are the most beautiful ... this is one of those moments with lars for me. I loved every minute with him ... I remember a similar moment with lucy, she was in her early teens and we sat on the landing together looking through photos ... that was a precious moment for me then and it is still now!

A birthday boy ... I will always remember Mike's birth ... our lives were changed forever

A breakfast celebration before we head of to Quebec. I love doing birthday breakfasts ... having lots of yummy food on the table ... lots of color. I always get a little anxious that we there will not be enough ... the FOMO in me but there is always plenty and left overs. Yep we have had some very yummy birthday breakfasts at our house.

Some of my favourites ... berry combo and avocado and feta cheese smash! Yummy!

Sitting together watching Jurassic Park ... I remember when we watched it as a family ... we all found it terrifying. Get a load of Lars' eyes ... he looks scared!

I would be scared of this too ...

We are of to Quebec in a few hours ... I am looking forward to it.

4 comments:

  1. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Love your posts. Hugs to all the family. Chaz and Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely a great read .Love all the photos and posts....xox
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for sharing liz.. love reading of your adventures. I feel like I know Lars and Roxcy a little.....
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for sharing liz.. love reading of your adventures. I feel like I know Lars and Roxcy a little.....
    Xx

    ReplyDelete