Thursday, January 1, 2015

A few shots of Old Delhi ... Our last Day

I am thinking that some of you will not be interested at all in these photos, but I could not resist taking them and sharing them with you. We had a great last day walking round Old Delhi. I got so excited by the old streets, the people and the busyness of it all. It was packed here! There were many vendors selling ribbon and braid like I have never seen before, puts my haberdashery experience into context. I could not help but think of Cheryl Larson, Chris' Mum, who I am pretty confident would be able to make some thing really beautiful and creative with all of these ribbons and colours. This market is a craft queens dream. I remember seeing ribbon and braid a little like this in Marg's sewing room ... she collected it, I think she would have loved seeing all of this.

There was shop after shop of these ... 

The detail and the glitter is beautiful!

Even boring old gold looks beautiful.

Here they are rolled out in their glory.

So beautiful ... now when ever I see fabrics like this I have a place in my life where they fit. India! Shopping in these small shops is quite different to  shopping in NZ. Firstly you take of your shoes before you enter. There are soft covered mats over the floor and you sit down with the shop attendant who has an assistant show you their wares ... some shops like this one that we went in to would have fabrics all over the floor that people were looking at with the purpose of purchasing. I have never seen anything like the colour of fabrics, ribbons and braid like I have seen in India. 

These are sweets. I love them ... they are delicious and super sweet. I think they are deep fried ... very fatty! 

We are now in the Spice Market of Old Delhi ... the smells are delicious. there are vendors selling all kinds of spices and yummy food. A food lovers delight

I love these colours together ... Tumeric and Chilli. Even their food is colourful ... 

We came across a roadside dentist on our walk to Old Delhi ... he was working on someones teeth ... looked like he was extracting something. 

A sculpture of the Bodhi Tree ... tree of enlightenment, outside the art gallery that was closed unfortunately.

I had to put this in ... a cow walking along the walkway by the Ganges River with everyone else feeling right at home and no one is taking any notice. We would often see a cow walking along the road of a city like Delhi, if they got in the way of traffic or people they would be tooted at or pushed and the cow would move out of the way. I found these sights funny and so out of place ... cattle living side by side with humans ... literally.

Happy New Year to all our family and friends ... where ever you are, who ever you are with and what ever you are doing, we are thinking of you. Have a wonderful and exciting 2015. 

2 comments:

  1. The ribbons and spices photos are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them. And all your experiences and thoughts...I know there's so much more than what you can write out, but thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sorting through some old boxes at my Ma's house the other day, and found two shopping bags FULL of those lovely wide sari borders (top photo) that I bought years ago in Rajasthan. Who knows when or for what I'll ever use them!

    ReplyDelete