Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Final Days in Dunedin

We have exactly a week and we are gone. Pete is down here in Dunedin with me ... he is working and I am spending as much time as I can with Elizabeth ... she is sooooo cute!!

Born to be Queen

Life is so simple with children ... feed, change nappies, play, sleep! Nothing complicated except when she doesn't get what she wants ... man can she scream! I took her for a walk yesterday and she got so angry at me and started to pull my ears of my head! In some ways she reminds me of Mack when he was a boy ... he had a temper on him at times.

Today has been so beautiful ... blue sky and sunny ... almost hot. I thought I would use the day to take some photos of my favourite buildings here in Dunedin. There are some amazing buildings here. I wonder if they stand out to me more since we have lost nearly all of our old buildings, not that there were many. So here is my pick of buildings in Dunedin. 

Inside Train Station

Dunedin Railway Station 

Art Deco 

I love this building ... it is part of the new Settlers Museum. Definitely my vintage in architecture. Check out these doors ...

I have lots of memories of this look growing up! 

          I love these 2 buildings!

The Savoy Building, the upstairs is now a restaurant. I love the windows and I hope they show up in enough in my photo.

Gothic Cathedral

There are lots of these beautiful old Cathedrals/Churches in Dunedin. 


I really liked the colors of these trees ... autumn is coming to a close and we are moving into winter. Autumn has amazing colors ... it has been pretty horrid this year with lots of rain and grey days, but today was a perfect autumn day. 

This post has been an attempt to show some of the buildings that I have fallen deeply in love with!! There are some things in life that cannot be replaced when lost ... that hold a history of a place. That can tell a story of communities and what was important to them. Dunedin has lots of old churches ... built by communities that valued their belief in God and their Churches were a place where they would meet together ... maybe even a place that pulled communities together. That is how I see it anyway. I think that the rebuild of ChCh is a stark contrast ... the rebuild is not built around communities ... but around business and money. I wonder how our city will look in the future ... a city built up by communities or business ... dollars!?

I am wondering what Gail will think of my photos ... composition and light ... I am afraid I am a point and shoot photographer... hoping that everything will look good in the end.


1 comment:

  1. I fully believe good photography is not just about using great light and making kickass composition but also a way of sharing your voice and passion through a limited medium. You captured something that spoke to you, captured and shared it. That is the beauty of such a medium. I've seen these buildings many times and never looked at the details until now. Brilliant way of opening ones eyes to the unseen and passed by. BEAUTIFUL. (I would have shot the railway from the camera on the floor)

    ReplyDelete