Sunday, August 6, 2017

This is the Place (Breakdown Continued)


Seeing Pete stand like this, is a common sight for me ... thinking into the problem. I know in his mind he is figuring out a solution ... but every time I see him like this I think it is funny! Do you think it is a male thing ... I wonder?? What you are seeing here, is a great mind at work trying to figure out why our RV has stopped. After a lengthy discussion and consideration we decided to divert our trip to Utah, we did not want to take the risk of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Utah was always in our plans. We planned to go to Yellow Stone Park ... see some bison, bear and hopefully moose and then head of to Utah. Stay with Lucy for a couple of weeks and then head back to Vermont with Marigold. I have learnt over the years to be open to the unexpected, which can often turn out to be better than the best laid plans.



Our drive through North Wyoming took us past the Devil's Tower ... some of you may recognise it from 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' ... a Steven Spielberg movie. It is very impressive ... even from a distance.



We arrived at Lucy's about 3am. It was a long and exhausting drive into the night ... done by me. We were so relieved to finally get here ... there is nothing like arriving home after a long hard day or journey and there is a light in the window, a nicely made bed and flowers in your room = love. This painting is one of Marigold's creations. I love these colours ... they remind me of sunset, sunrise, Lucy.



The view from Lucy's front lawn. The evening light here is spectacular ... whenever I think of Utah I think of this kind of landscape. 



Roxcy is reunited with her 'blankey'. I knitted this for her when she was born ... she has literally loved it death, she takes it almost everywhere, but mostly to bed or sitting on the couch watching TV ... it is now falling apart and comes in pieces. When we left on our road trip Chris forgot to pack it ... when we arrived at Lucy's it was waiting for Roxcy. She was thrilled to have 'blankey' with her again.



I am obssessed with this little girl ... Marigold ... she is a most rewarding child.



These three are like a tornado, loud and all over the place ... they play really well together. Roxcy is a good leader ... she keeps Marigold and Pena in line.



We have been doing some fun things while here in Utah. We spent a day at Lagoon Amusement Park ... lots of rides and swimming. Sash and I went on a mild and more extreme roller coaster ride. I was so proud of myself ... I was terrified. What is it that makes the terror all part of the fun? Here we all are, our entertainment crew, at the Zoo. Pete got to see bears, at last.



I hate the idea of animals being taken out of their natural environment and relocated to confined spaces ... there is something about it that I find deeply distressing. The children however loved seeing all the animals ... and there were many, snakes, crocodiles, very large turtles, a tiger and giraffes, to name a few. I was completely enamoured by this giraffe ... I thought it looked so elegant and I love the pattern of its coat, it is perfectly symmetrical, if that is the right word, it looked stunning up close and I could not take my eyes of it.



Lars loves Star Wars Lego ... he has a lot of it. Pete and Lars are deep in contemplative thought ... trying to figure out what went wrong here.



The sunset view from Lucy's balcony ... every night it looks like this ... with differing shades of pink, orange and red. 



When we were in Utah last year we discovered the Hatch Family chocolate store, they make the best hot chocolates ... ever. I could not wait to try one again. It was worth the drive across country. I highly recommend their dark hot chocolate. I promise, you will not be disappointed, particularly if you are a hot chocolate lover like I am.



These dresses took me down memory lane. I was introduced to smocking by Marg Cammock and I spent many enjoyable hours making dresses, like these ones for Lucy and Alice. I was thrilled to see Roxcy and Marigold wearing them. They have lasted well. I have to admit I am pretty impressed with my hand work.



We have been reading Under the Mountain to Lars and Roxcy while we have been travelling. We did not have a TV when our children were growing up ... we read lots and lots of books to them ... The Hatchett, Lord of the Rings, The Elfstones of Shanara, they are some of the titles I remember. We would sit together as a family and I would usually read, until my throat was dry and hoarse. I loved it. We are loving reading to Lars and Roxcy ... there has been no resistance, they are really enjoying the book. Sometimes, if we are lucky they might snuggle into us, or lean up against us unconsciously. I love those moments ...  

1 comment:

  1. YAY for the update, I've been hanging out for more news. Glad all are safe and well and enjoying being together. we miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete