Monday, August 28, 2017

The Weary Travellers Return


The distance from Sandy Utah to Windsor VT is 2,316.2 miles = about 5+ days driving when you include stops or stay overs. We drove a bit further than that ... about 2,500m. After Capitol Reef we headed toward Illinois to stay a couple of days with Chris' sister Joy and her family. We spent a couple of days with them last year. Lars and Roxcy were so excited to see their cousins and Aunt Joy and Uncle Hafe. We had a really nice stay with them. I got to go to a yoga class, Joy and I had a hot chocolate together, Pete continued to try and fix our blocked toilet ... but the highlight was hearing Hafe play the Bag Pipes. He has been learning for the last year and we had the pleasure of a private impromptu performance. Who does not like the Bag Pipes? I love them! I have very fond memories of learning the Highland Fling at the Caledonian Hall on Kilmore Street, which is no longer standing. I loved going along on Saturday mornings putting on my highland dance shoes and dancing to the pipes. Have I already shared that story?? Apparently there are three instruments that speak to the heart ... the Bag Pipes is one. Don't quote me on that ... I have a memory of someone sharing that with me but I cannot quote my source.



We left Joy and Hafe's early in the morning ... the sun was rising and was a breath taking brilliant red, right in front of us as we were driving ... I had to 'try' and get a photo ... this was good as I could get it. I keep thinking 'if only I had a better camera' but I am fooling myself ... it is the person behind the camera that makes all the difference and as you can see by my photos my expertise in this area leaves a lot to be desired but I do my best. Sometimes a good photo is hit and miss and sometimes it is just miss!



When we were on our road trip last year Pete wanted to go to the Dusenberg Car Museum in Auburn, Indiana but it was not on our route. This year we made sure that we went right past there. These cars are spectacularly beautiful. Pete was in awe of some of them, their design, their engines, their speed, their elegance and how beautifully they were put together. I had this moment with Pete where I realised that for him cars are like works of art, they speak to him in a way they do not speak to me. I have been married to Pete for 37+ years and I only just realised this as I watched him walk through this Car Museum and he was totally absorbed by their magnificence. 



I on the other hand was captured by their colour and their mahogany and leather interiors. These cars are beautifully crafted.



I had to have a photo of our companions ... posing in front of one of these beauties. Lars was enjoying the cars, they did get a 'Spot the Car' quiz when we entered which kept their attention. Marigold was tired and grumpy and just wanted to run free ... with a loud voice. You can see the art deco lights in the back ground and the very cool ceiling decorating. The building interior was just as beautiful as the cars. 



The flooring of the car museum ... I love the design ...



We stopped of at Kirtland again and stayed a night at a KOA. While there we visited the Newell K. Whitney store ... another church history site. While there it started to pelt down with rain and Marigold got caught in it ... I could not resist taking her photo. This little girl is the most rewarding child ... I know I have said it several times. She loved, loved, loved being with her 'big' cousins. 



We had planned to stay a night at the KOA in Palmyra NY, we stayed there last year ... but as we were driving we decided to just 'go for it' and head back to Windsor in time for Mike's birthday. We did not to tell the children or Mike and Lucy (Chris knew) ... we wanted to surprise them. It was a long drive ... I was driving again. This was our dinner stop ... our last meal together on the road. I did get pulled over by the police on this leg of our journey. I failed to pull over into the middle lane when passing the police who had pulled someone over on the side of the interstate. They were very pleasant about it ... I did not get a fine, but one of the police officers was pretty steamed at me. 



Mike and Chris were so pleased to see Lars and Roxcy, Lucy was over the moon to have Marigold back. We arrived late at night, Roxcy was still awake and could not believe that she was home with her Mom ... at last. This is a photo of Mother's love ... Chris searching through 'all' of Lars' lego and he has a lot ... trying to find a missing piece for him to complete a lego he was building and she found it. One of those invisible moments that seem insignificant to others watching ... I was deeply touched. 



We have been spending our nights staying between the Snapdragon Inn and our RV, which is parked up Mike and Chris' drive. This is a Saturday evening ... one of Mike & Chris' friends played a concert on the lawn, while listening to the music I noticed the light on the trees. Windsor is so peaceful. The evenings are lovely ... there is no hustle and bustle here. Staying at the Inn is such a treat ... it is very comfortable. A nice way to end 5 weeks on the road.



A tender moment with Marigold and Pete ... what goes around comes around ... his turn to be pushed on the swing.



An evening walk round the pond ... Marigold collapsed! She tried to keep up with Roxcy ... her little legs just couldn't do it. Lars and Roxcy have a simple life in Windsor ... they have lots of play time with friends on their street, they roam free on their bikes in between houses coming and going as they please. I think their lives here are idyllic. We have loved being here with our children and Grandchildren ... watching these three cousins play together, fight together and live together. Marigold is in awe of Roxcy anything she says or does Marigold is her little shadow repeating every word. 



Besides Mike's birthday the big event on our return to Windsor was the Solar Eclipse on August 21. Lucy, who is so creative, got the children making special Eclipse hats and other fancy dress ups for the occasion. Roxcy really got into it. We all went out and sat on the front lawn with our special eclipse glasses watching the moon pass in front of the sun. VT did not really get the full impact like other parts of the States, but it was impressive to see through our special eclipse dark glasses. The next eclipse to pass right over VT is 2024 ... I plan to be here for it.  

We fly out on August 31, we have had a wonderful time with Lars, Roxcy and Marigold. I am hoping to get one more post up before or while we are leaving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment