Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Secret Scripture


I have to say I am even impressing myself with my reading. I picked this book up at a second hand store in Fethiye ... I liked the cover and also that it was Irish. For some reason I quite like Irish writers, I haven't read many Irish books but the ones I have I have liked.

This is quite a bleak story ... there is a hardness to it, like the other Irish books I have read. Maybe it is something to do with their history, beautifully written though. The story centres round Dr Greene and Roseanne, his patient. Their narrative is told by each of them and their stories seem to blend at times. The ending took me completely by surprise! I enjoyed this book a lot. I think I can be quite depressing and philosophical in my choice of books and this is no exception to that rule.

Pete continues to read his 6 volumes of Winston Churchill and Positivity by Barbara Frederickson. When he gets sick of those he starts looking for something a little mindless like Jack Reacher ... you know the type ... a predictable plot ... lots of action and the hero wins at the end, you already know that from the beginning ... you read to find out how.

I bought The Museum of Innocence to read by Orhan Pamuk a Turkish author, I am looking forward to reading it after I have finished the one I have started to read ... a Kindle book, 'Where'd You Go Bernadette'. Sash recommended it ... I am enjoying the story so far ... funny. I find it much easier reading on my iPad on a bus than I do reading a book ... not sure why that is. The Museum of Innocence is very thick ... may take me a while. Might be the last one I read. 

I am loving these books I am reading ... I feel like I have rediscovered something that I enjoyed so long ago and had forgotten how much pleasure I got from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment