Saturday, June 7, 2014

Movies

Those of you who know our family well know that we love movies! Movies are a thing for us. As our children were growing up we did not have TV, but we watched movies on the weekends. How you ask ... I remember the day Pete came home from uni with a projector that he had borrowed. That projector became part of our home and our hearts very quickly and pretty soon it was living at our house and then we owned it for a while. Then the big day came ... we bought our very own!

We had hours of fun viewing with our children and their friends and so it goes. I loved those days of having our children gather round and we would watch movies ... there was an excitement about it all. The trip to Alices DVD store or if we did not want the trip there to one closer. The arguments over a movie that was picked ... 'why did you get that?' Over a period of time we gathered some family favorites ... Last of the Mohicans comes to mind very quickly. The opening scene of Daniel Day Lewis running through the forest of upper New York State in his canvas cloth as an Indian ... sexy. Viv and I would watch that movie ... a lot! Our projector went everywhere with us ... Lake Lyndon being one place that we would take it and spend hours watching movies with Rob, Viv and family ... laughing and swooning over some of our favorites. Such wonderful memories.

Our children still like movies now. I find it fascinating how diverse their taste is. Mike loves action and special effects ... when he was about 4 we took him to see Star Wars I wonder if that is where it all began for him. He goes and sees all the special effects movies, waiting with anticipation for the next one to come out ... don't get me wrong he likes a good story, but if the good story has special effects it is a match made in heaven for him. lucy I guess would fall into the arty category ... maybe on the fringe ... she likes gritty and a bit dark or black comedy. I think lucy likes to be moved in films and also likes to laugh ... I am not sure she would agree with me. Mack likes action and a story with a bit of depth to it ... like war movies and he also likes sci fi kind of aspect eg Iron Man. Alice likes classics and is a real rom-com fan but also likes a good drama ... she likes language ... that gets her in movies, she is also a bit like lucy and likes to be moved. They certainly all have a stronger constitution with movies than I do and can tolerate a lot more than I can.

They all watch TV ... on demand and will often share with us some of their favorite series. As a result Pete and I have started to watch a few TV series as well ... on demand, The Killing, Broadchurch are a couple that come to mind. I seem to favor BBC and something that is character driven ... I grew up with Clint Eastwood ... a lot of his movies had very little dialogue ... lots of killing and a drop dead gorgeous lead! Pete likes a lot of different types of movies ... he is very eclectic in his taste or choice. We both like a good rom-com ... French Kiss, While You were Sleeping, Love Actually to name just a few.

Over the years I have had to be a lot more selective in what I watch ... blood and gore of any kind or splatter movies triggers an adrenaline spike for me and I find myself getting quite anxious. I definitely cannot do horror ... horror movies are for adrenalin junkies! That is not me. I don't get it going to a movie to be scared out of your wits ... what is that about?

Anyway we have been to a couple of movies since being here in VT ... firstly

Movie # 1 Rating 6/10

I read a review online of Maleficent and thought we could give it a go. I think that Angelina Jolie is beautiful even with horns... I am still not sure if she is a good actress, I have yet to see something that she has been in that convinces me, but I like watching her on screen. She picks interesting roles and often they are strong women ... physically and otherwise. Not your run of the mill type of female character. I liked this movie. I did not find myself getting bored and there was a theme of redemption... bad is not all bad when you scrub the surface. I think my friend Madeline would really like this.

Movie # 2 Rating 7/10

Tom Cruise seems to get the blend of suspense, action and romance right ... nearly all the time. I think he is quite charismatic as an actor and we generally go to most of his films. Of course this was perfect for Mike ... good story line ... and really good special effects. Emily Blunt looks gorgeous ... she has really toned up for her role in this movie ... Tom as usual starts out as the reluctant hero and then gets into it ... full throttle, he seems to have this very sexy and nonchalant way of killing people. I like the idea of live ... die ... repeat ... we could repair all of our mistakes in the here and now ... a great way to avoid shame and guilt.






1 comment:

  1. I have many happy memories from movie nights at your house also. I love going to the movies with you! Mike and I went to see 2 movies this week. Ida, and X-Men. 2 VERY different kinds of movie. Both magnificent in different ways. Will check out Live. Die. Repeat this week also, Mike is keen to go to that one. -g

    ReplyDelete