Friday, June 27, 2014

27 June 1983

Lucy Jane Shepherd Cammock

I love this photo of lucy


If lucy had been born walking she would have kept on going! She was adventurous from the day she was born ... she loved to be anywhere but home ... at her cousins or the neighbours or a friend round the road.

lucy came into the world easily ... a quick labour and bang she was here. She slept a lot after she was born ... so much so that I thought she was brain damaged. She liked her own space ... never liked sleeping in bed with us and believe me I tried hard to have her bed with us. lucy was an easy baby ... and a wonderful addition to our family!

I think of lucy as light ... people are drawn to her. She has a kind and compassionate heart, an active and intelligent mind, a great sense of humour, a sharp tongue that is not to be reckoned with. lucy is loyal to the end, she is a vault full of secrets that will not be told. lucy is strong ... one of the strongest women I know.  She is independant, I know of no other woman or person that goes to a completely different country and sets up a life and place to live, even if it is sharing a bed with a complete stranger for 6 months. lucy is creative ... in so many ways, with color, with design, with ideas, with art, with clothes and how she sees the world. When lucy walks through an art gallery she walks right up to a painting as if she is going to climb into it.

lucy loved Michael Jackson as a girl of 10. She was scary to wake up for seminary in the mornings, she is messy, she is a mocker, she hates tramping, she loves travel, she was a challenge for her YW leaders ... I remember her 'Barbie is a Slut' t-shirt that she wore with pride to YW activities. lucy buys great gifts and gets it right every time ... there is something really wonderful about opening a gift and it being something that you love at first sight ... and lucy bought it! lucy is not afraid to speak up or out about something. lucy tried hockey ... failed, she tried the piano ... failed, tried swimming ... succeeded! lucy is a great Aunty to her nieces, her cousins and their children. lucy is very generous with herself and her money. lucy is loyal! lucy is a joy to all she comes in contact with.

My favourite thing to do with lucy is holding her hands ... I love the feel of her hand in mine. I love going to the movies with lucy, I love going shopping with lucy, I love travelling with lucy, I love going out to eat with lucy, I love lucy's energy when we are together. I love talking to lucy on skype. I love watching lucy with her nieces and nephews.

Pete named lucy after a Wordsworth Poem ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCY

We love you  ... being your Mother has been one of the best things of my life. You are in our hearts every day!











4 comments:

  1. This is lovely, thanks mama...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was reading some of this, I absolutely think of Roxcy. My kids are so lucky to have such an amazing Auntie like you. You are the best and this was a beautiful ode to her, liz.

    ReplyDelete